Creating healthy habits that stick isn’t always easy. Sometimes, what sets us up to fail is what we choose to focus on. A good strategy is to direct your focus on the positive changes you are trying to make instead of the poor habits you are trying to break. When you adopt this mindset, you put yourself in a good place to start creating goals for improving your health and creating healthier habits.
The Mayo Clinic, a nonprofit, worldwide provider of medical care, research and education, suggests setting ‘SMART’ goals - a method which utilizes an acronym that breaks goals down, making them more attainable. Here is what each letter stands for:
- S – Specific – What is your goal?
- M – Measurable – How will you track your progress?
- A – Achievable – What steps will you take to reach your goal?
- R – Realistic – Can you see yourself doing what it takes to reach this goal?
- T – Time Frame – Is this a long or short-term goal? Give yourself a time limit for reaching it.
Setting goals this way will help navigate your attention toward the good choices you should be making, while helping you forget and let go of the bad choices you have made in the past. In addition to setting goals, here are some other ways to create healthy habits
just by focusing your attention on the positive changes needed to develop them:
- Participate in a New Group Activity or Sport - Joining social groups and choosing new hobbies will guide you naturally into healthy patterns in a gradual, yet effective way.
- Personal Growth - Examine the change and impact that embracing a healthy habit will have on your life. What will be the cost to you if you don’t implement this habit? How will practicing this habit change your life for the better? This is where you often find the motivation to follow through.
- Accountability Partner – Find a friend who also wants to start creating healthy habits and making beneficial changes in their own life. You will both mutually benefit from working together to set goals and keeping each other on track. Check in with each other for encouragement and to monitor progress.
- Set Healthy Boundaries - Learn how to say “no,” whether it is to peer pressure, an overbooked schedule, or the demands of a high maintenance friend who drains your time and energy. Learning how to say “no” when you need to eliminates unnecessary stress and keeps you mentally well balanced.
- There’s an app for that! - These days, you cannot do it all on our own, and with the technology currently available, you don’t have to. Utilize your smartphone to its fullest potential, and take advantage of some of the apps available out there that can help you organize your life, attain fitness goals, and make healthy habits easy to achieve and maintain. You can Google “Best health and fitness apps of 2013” to receive search results filled with apps that assist you in making healthy food and nutrition choices, and will also help you track your fitness and strength progress.
MHG Insurance Brokers is always exploring new ways for developing healthy habits. We understand that different strategies work for different people, the same way different people have various insurance coverage needs. If you have questions about your existing health insurance coverage, or wish to obtain a new health insurance policy
, MHG Insurance Brokers is always available to speak with you – just call 954-828-1819. You can also visit MHG online at mhginsurance.com
. Remember, healthy habits are created by consistent practice – here’s to a healthier you!