Falls don't "just happen," and people don't fall only because they get older. While many falls can be linked to a person's physical condition or a medical problem, other causes could be safety hazards onboard or in your environment. That being said, it’s important to take the necessary steps and precautions to avoid accidents while onboard, or wherever you are for that matter!
Some Risk Factors and Pointers:
Scientists have linked a number of personal risk factors to falling. Here’s just a few:
- Muscle weakness, especially in the legs. People with weak muscles are more likely to fall than are those who maintain their muscle strength, as well as their flexibility and endurance.
Are you on your feet all day? Sure you are. Be aware of muscle weakness in your legs. Stretch often and stay fit.
- Blood pressure that drops when you get up from lying down or sitting. This condition -- called postural hypotension -- might result from dehydration, or certain medications.
Drink plenty of water and stay away from too much caffeine or alcohol to help prevent a fall.
- Wearing unsafe footwear. Backless shoes and slippers, high-heeled shoes, and shoes with smooth leather soles are examples of unsafe footwear.
Sound similar to the shoes you wear? Your feet have to last your entire life. Take care of them and they’ll take care of you.
- Sensory problems. If your senses don't work well, you will be less aware of your environment.
Do I need to say more about this? Don’t do things that impair your senses.
- Not seeing well. It takes a while for your eyes to adjust to see clearly when you move between darkness and light.
Certainly something you experience frequently onboard, and sunglasses are a requirement. Although falls can happen anywhere, well over half of all falls happen at home (onboard). Falls often happen while a person is doing normal daily activities. Some of these falls are caused by factors in the person's living environment. For instance, a slick floor or a poorly lit narrow stairway may lead to a fall. But I’m sure you never have those conditions onboard, do you?
Having proper insurance is important whether you are at sea or docked at a shipyard. MHG is your specialized broker when it comes to crew insurance. Our insurance specialists have the knowledge and experience to find the policy that works best for you. If you are interested in purchasing, or have any questions about yacht crew insurance
or travel insurance
, please contact us at +1 954 828 1819 or +44 (0) 1624 678668 or visit us online at mhginsurance.com